honestyrain

always be honest, except for when you lie

Monday, November 01, 2004

big tv night

Tomorrow is a big day. The United States will elect a (hopefully) new president. I am looking forward to the coverage the way I would the finale of Amazing Race or like way back when M*A*S*H was going off the air. It feels like something big is happening.

I'm not even American.

I can't help thinking that there will be plenty of controversy. I wonder if we just do things bassackwards up here in Canada because our elections go off without a hitch. But then most things about our politics and politicians are different. In the US there's a lot of attention to who the candidate will be bringing with him into the White House...the people who will become, by association, the First Family. We don't have a First Family here. Frankly, I don't even know if the current guy has a wife. Not sure on the kid aspect either. Maybe he's boffing some intern as we speak but I honestly don't care. That's between him, the intern and his wife if he's got one. As long as he's running the country in a way that doesn't make us look like assholes and nothing is going horribly wrong on the home front, he's good. We just don't glorify the post in the same way Americans do.

Don't get me wrong. It matters who's at the helm and I do vote. But our leaders don't become famous the way entertainers do. Hell, our entertainers don't become entertainers the way American entertainers do. We're just a different brand of cat. Not better. Just different.

This isn't the first time I've been interested in the outcome of a US election. The last one had my attention as well. Seems anything George Bush is involved in will hold me in it's grasp. Last time I actually thought it was a joke he was running. I honestly thought it was going to be an Al Gore White House and only tuned in to see how badly Goofy Old George would lose. Imagine my surprise. I kept thining for weeks after that we would all wake up as if in a dream and the right man would be President. Oh silly dreamer.

For tomorrow's festivities I have no such illusions. I am fully aware of the fact that Goofy may win again (using the term 'win' loosley) and I am going to be watching. Might even pop some corn. It's an event and all I can say is I'm going to be so ticked if G Dubya wins. You know how you're watching the finale of Amazing race and they make it look like this shit team is going to win. And if the shit team really wins you're so disappointed that you vow you'll never watch again? It's like that.

Look, I know it's serious and not just for Americans but for the world at large as well. But what are you gonna do? The shit guy might win. That's democracy. I just keep telling myself he can't possibly make things any worse than he has....