honestyrain

always be honest, except for when you lie

Thursday, November 04, 2004

poked in the eye by the truth

After a nice dinner out with the family this evening I decided to fill out the survey that came with our bill. The server we had was very good and I like to say so when I can. The questions were innocuous until the second to last section.

Select the category which applies to you:
18-24 years
25-34 years
35-49 years
other numbers applying to even older people

Imagine my dismay when I realized that I, once young and energetic, have slipped unnoticed into an age bracket with people approaching fifty. Fifty, my friends. I'm not saying fifty is old but essentially, I've got one foot on a banana peel. Great. A lovely dinner and for dessert, your own mortality dipped in no-more-dancing-on the-speakers sauce. Who knew? This morning I woke up the same old me. A little tired, a little thick around the middle but basically, the same fun loving wild thing I was 5, 10, 15 years ago. Having stories from fifteen years ago should have in itself opened my eyes to my current station in life. I am not old, but I am in the company of old people and I am startled by this new information.

I have been poked in the eye by the truth and it'll take some getting used to. Does anyone wanna go drinking with me? I'd like to go make a fool of myself dancing on the speakers and see if anyone tries to pick me up. Margaritas for everyone!